Thursday, August 19, 2010

Who is Natalee Cooper?


University of Georgia Magazines and Anthropology major Natalee Cooper hails from Macon, GA, known to most as “the city I pass through on my way to Florida.” With five siblings who call themselves UGA alumni, Cooper always knew she would attend the University of Georgia. Her career choices leading up to Magazines changed from veterinarian to photojournalist to travel journalist but when faced with the question of what she should major in, Cooper found the perfect compromise in the pursuit of a Magazines and Anthropology double major.

Cooper grew up with a love for nature, art, animals, and writing. Traveling cross-country in a GMC Safari with her family at the age of 10 nurtured her love for travel and photography. “I had always dreamed of traveling around the world but I never realized the kind of beauty that my own home country harbored”, says Cooper. Seeing striking landscapes such as the Badlands of South Dakota, the Grand Tetons of Wyoming, and the redwoods of California melting into the Pacific coastline inspired Cooper to seek a profession that would combine her passion for nature, travel, and writing.

Since entering into college and choosing Magazines and Anthropology as her fields of study, Cooper has set her sights on magazine publications such as National Geographic, Afar, Travel and Leisure, and Coastal Living. “I’m nervous about what the post-college experience will be for me. I’d like to think I’ll be able to attain my dream job but my portfolio is slim at best. On the other hand, I’m looking forward to what Grady will do for me, how I will grow, and the pieces of work I will produce as a student of Grady College”, says Cooper. Cooper is especially excited to be in Journalism 3510 with Professor Dennis. She says she feels confident that after a semester under his wing, there’s no way National Geographic won’t want her.

2 comments:

  1. I tried posting a comment before and for some reason it got lost - so I'll try again. Sorry if this ends up being a duplicate. I just wanted to say congrats on all the traveling that you have already gotten to do - and I hope it doesn't slow down for you any time soon! Believe it or not, although you may not have a portfolio that includes years of published work, considering the magazines you are interested in, your experience in travel and photography during those times will give you an advantage over someone who just sits and writes in an office all day. Keep it up - enjoy it - and good luck. I'm certain you can accomplish your goals if you just put your mind to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually didn't double post. Thanks for the advice! It's really nice to hear those words of wisdom coming from someone whose been in the biz!

    ReplyDelete