Monday, September 20, 2010

Audio and Video in the news

In the past, audio and video clips were primarily used in broadcast journalism, but with the rise of the Internet, audio and video clips have become an increasingly important aspect of both broadcast and print news.

NPR is an old master of the audio clip. In a recent story about relations between North and South Korea they combine audio clips from the reporter with clips of the surrounding area, giving the story more life. They also present the audio version of the story along side a print version.

BBC News also uses audio and visual clips on the Internet. In a clip about UK troops in Sangin , BBC combines interviews with soldiers and footage from the area to tell a story in a way that words alone may not be able to.

News sights that traditionally use print have also taken to using video and audio clips alongside their stories. The New York Times uses a combination of photography and audio to tell a story about domestic partnership in New York City.

While audio and video are not necessary or even appropriate for some stories, in each of these examples I felt like the clips added an emotional element to the story that helps get the message across.


Sorry this was late guys. It completely slipped my mind last night.

2 comments:

  1. I really like what you said about clips and audio adding an emotional element to a story. Pictures are great, but I think you right in saying that audio and visual components bring the story to life in a way print media never could. While I was watching the clip you linked to about UK troops, I realized that I watch videos of stories I never would have been drawn to in print. I linked to the domestic partnership story in my blog post too; I loved how emotionally honest and real it was, because the couple got to tell the story themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with what you said about the added element that audio/video bring to stories. I think we are moving in a direction multimedia-wise that will lead to require some sort of multimedia element in all stories. Video/audio adds so much to a story. Words can be dry--even direct quotes. Hearing the words straight from a soldier's mouth, like your UK video reference, is more effective than the written story. I think there can be a use for audio/video in all stories--we, as future journalists, just need to find a place for it. As I said before when quoting Fink, we need to learn synergy!

    ReplyDelete