Thursday, September 23, 2010

GSPA Fall Conference

I have to admit, I dreaded attending these lectures. Regardless of what they were about, I had enough "Fink paper due" on my mind to make me dread anything.

I was, however, happily surprised to have thoroughly enjoyed both lectures I attended. I attended Mark Johnson's lecture on photojournalism and Ed Morales' lecture on sports-writing.

"A Picture is Worth 1,000,000 Words"
To say that Mark Johnson's lecture was inspiring is an understatement. I left that lecture desperately cataloguing inside my head whether I could pursue photojournalism as an emphasis before I graduate. Alas, graduation approaches too quickly for that, so it is not an option; however, I will definitely take one thing away from the lecture and that is to start taking photographs. An emphasis associated with my degree means little in real life. From his lecture, I feel like I can pick up photojournalism whenever I'd like to and work hard to become accomplished at it.

Suos Cultores Scientia Coronat: "Knowledge Crowns Those Who Her". Introducing his knowledge for photojournalism with this Syracuse motto immediately struck me, not just for photojournalism, but for everything--especially related to journalism. Ultimately, I came away with a desire to seek knowledge and "to tell stories," which is the basic desire of journalists, according to Johnson. Hearing this, I realized that I sometimes get caught up in the overwhelming, non-stop parts of journalism. I get overwhelmed quite frequently at the huge problems facing journalisms, the ethics, the new medias, the never-ending news reel. Thinking of journalism in a more basic way, "to tell stories," brought it all back to an equilibrium in my head.

Mark Johnson talked about photojournalism, but I came away with more than just a desire to take photos--I came away with a renewed sense of love for journalism. He did, still, inspire me to take photos.... now how can I afford a Canon Rebel?

Sports Writing: Beyond the Score
The sports writing lecture by Ed Morales was interesting, informative, and completely out of my comfort zone. My reasons for attending centered around his position as the Editorial Advisor for the Red & Black. His lecture was certainly engaging for the high school students. I took the appropriate notes so, just in case, if I ever am wrangled into writing sports journalism, I will know where to start. What I took most to heart was his emphasis on writing about athletes as personalities and people. Get inside to the people--inside and outside of the sport. Don't always write about a game. Sports is really about the people.

So how was it?
Today was certainly well worth the 2 hours time to attend the lectures. The speakers and topics were fantastic and engaging. I feel renewed in my love for journalism and appreciate getting back "to the roots."

Plus, it was great to see so many young, high school journalists listening intently to Mark Johnson's words and taking vigorous notes. It was funny to watch the kids who didn't really want to be there and just looked around at all the unfamiliar faces. It was most amusing, though, to see the students walking around with a bit of awe on their faces at being in a university and 'blending in.'

Now why do I feel so old?

No comments:

Post a Comment