Friday, September 24, 2010

GSPA Fall Conference

The GSPA Fall Conference was great and very informative. I wish I could have had the opportunity to do attend something like that during high school, because I found the sessions very helpful even after a year in journalism school. I decided to go to Mark Johnson’s presentation, “A Picture is Worth 1,000,000 Words.” I am currently in his Intro to Photojournalism class, so I had heard most of what he went over before; however, I am so passionate about what he teaches, I do not mind hearing it again and again. Mr. Johnson does a great job of bringing out the photographer in everyone. He is so passionate about what he does as a community journalist that one can’t help but want to join in on the fun. He opened the floor to ‘inquiries’ towards the end of the talk and the students asked some great questions.

I also attended Mark and Gwen Childers’ presentation, “From ‘Snap’ Shot to ‘Great’ Shot.” Mark was a great speaker and very animated. He did a great job of engaging the audience and keeping their attention. He also did a great job of skimming the surface of all the basics of manual photography by explaining aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. He gave everyone simple tips to improve their photography skills, which really came in handy for me since my article for the Atheens magazine is essentially about the same thing. I ended up taking out my notebook and jotting a few quotes and tips down to include in the article.

Overall my experience at the GSPA Fall Conference was successful. If it had not been for class, I actually would have stayed for another session – the Photoshop Tips & Tricks by Mark and Gwen Childers.

No comments:

Post a Comment