Monday, October 25, 2010

Dream Job: Random House? NYTimes? USA Today?

It's a tad difficult to really get into this assignment for the sole reason that my target publication isn't really a publication... more of a publisher. I'm aiming for a career in the publishing industry. Random House! Or Penguin! Big cities, big names, big publishers. That is what I really want to do.

But, if I had to work in the journalism industry, which I may decide I want to do, I would aim to work with either the New York Times or USA Today. Since Briana talked about the NYTimes, I'll focus on USA Today. What I love about this news organization is its broad, understandable coverage of what is going on nationwide. It is well-recognized and is generally unbiased. I love that has spread itself across social media, websites, and a print paper. I also love that it recently announced that it would be restructuring itself. USA Today is a publication that is 'down with the times' and seems to be ready to move forward. (Note: NYTimes is still my favorite newspaper to read.) Its target audience: everyone in America. This is another thing I love about USA Today. It appeals to all sorts of readers. It isn't as uppity as the NYTimes. It is an easy read with local and national news.

The five recent articles from USA Today that I would chose to run are:

This article discusses the current elections at the moment, which is a relevant topic that readers NEED to see and understand. There is a handy link within the article that allows you to track the nationwide races. There are mentions of specific states. It is a succinct article with good information that is nationally relevant, just like the newspaper.

Not only is this article, but it is internationally relevant. The French strikes over the changing retirement age have been huge and costing France a great deal. USA Today tries to maintain itself as being national and international. This is a big deal and continuing to follow-up on this story is necessary.

Another relevant international article that hits a little close to home in Mexico. Violence makes top headlines and this is an example of that. This also, like the France article, follows up on the continued violence in Mexico that has made headlines.

Gotta get that sports article somewhere in the top five. A relevant Monday article after a weekend of college football. This article is bound to attract page views and the sports readers. I'd definitely include it.

This ongoing saga of the oil spill in the Gulf keeps coming. This story is a follow-up story that illuminates a new issue that hits the hearts of many Americans. Understandably, this article is one of the top viewed articles on USAToday.com. Gotta include the follow-up stories, especially on stories like this of national relevance.

What I love about USA Today is that it includes everything. Tons of national and international information. Such a broad array of articles could only be in a publication like this.

But even so, I'd still rather work for Random House. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment