Monday, October 4, 2010

Photos



We viewed this image this morning in my Photojournalism class. I love this image because it demonstrates a photojournalist
that is clearly dedicated to his photojournalism job. Before you point out the photographer's stupidity of standing straight in front of Tiger as he was about to hit the ball, realize: the golf ball was not supposed to go straight towards the photographer. According to the caption under the photograph, Tiger hit the ground before he did the ball, sending the golf ball sailing towards photographer, Mark Pain. Despite his last name, Pain showed no pain as he was hit in the chest with a golf ball. That is why this photograph impresses me. Instead of yelling an obscenity and attempting to get out of the way, he continued shooting. He gets an A+ for dedication. Not to mention, the onlookers faces are priceless.



It would be hard to say that I like this photo, because I don't like the situation that made this photo possible, 9/11. However, this photo was taken by the famous war photographer, James Nachtwey. What I do like about this picture is how he framed the flag with the broken window pane, surrounded by all the rubble and destruction of the twin towers. It seems that Nachtwey is demonstrating through this photo that America will triumph through the tragedy, and for that, I admire this photo and the photographer.



This photo taken by Kevin Carter won the Pulitzer prize in 1994. I really, really, really don't like this photo. It's sickening to think that there are children that live in these conditions. I do think that this is good photojournalism, though. It tells a story -- and it has an impact. Running this photo in newspapers, magazines, and all over the Internet could encourage those people that see it to do more to help these children.

3 comments:

  1. The Tiger Wood's photo is awesome. Simply awesome. Though i'm torn on how I feel about the focus.

    The way it is now, the ball is blurred, but you are able to see the faces of the crowd. However, had the ball been in focus and the crowd slightly blurred, you'd still get the feeling of what's happen (the excitement of the crowd and all), but be even more drawn into the fact that this photographer is about to get nailed.

    I'm so impressed by how centered the whole thing is. This picture truly does represent extreme dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of Tiger Woods is pretty great. He was pretty lucky if Tiger really wasn't aiming for him and happened to get hit in the chest anyway. And if I were Tiger, and that guy was in my way when I swung, I'd be pretty pissed that he messed up my shot. But a good picture nonetheless.
    The second one is also impressive. I agree with you about the framing of the broken window- very accurate portrayal of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is really striking about the third photo is the contrast of the child and the vulture. That vulture is just about as big as the kid ... and looks like he is about to eat the child. Very, very sickening -- but extremely powerful.

    ReplyDelete