Friday, October 1, 2010

Photojournalism



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This first image is by Carolyn Cole at the Los Angeles Times. It can be found here
I like this photo first off because the emotion she captured on the mens' faces. I think the entire picture tells the story - that more than anything they feel concern. They are all close together showing the closeness of their relationship and the lighting is amazing. I also love how the photo portrays that they are inside - looking out. There is a feeling of safety/comfort, although their lives are at risk. The soft light also emphasizes this.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This next photo is of a blind man in Kolkata. The two things that grab my attention in this photo is the roughness that is captured by the tan and brown colors and his scruffy beard and hair. The unmistakeable aspect of the photo is the reflection in the man's glasses - it looks as if there is some stone wall- which creates a trapped feeling - as if there is nowhere to go. The photo can be found here



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This last photo is on a lighter note, but none-the-less amazing. I love the use of black and white here and the use of sunlight. The actual people look like shadows themselves - almost identical to their actual shadow. I also like how the woman on the bike is headed in one direction while the police officer is faced the opposite direction. I normally would not like the amount of empty space between the subjects, but somehow, this composition works for this photo. It can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your first and last photos. The way light plays with details and shadows is a thing that makes me happy. The last one seems interesting to me because the traffic dude is directing apparently no one at all. The first one looks like they're hiding pretty well.

    To be honest, I don't like the second photo at all. Something about the close-up and background. I think that focus could have been used to say a thing or two about a blind man.

    Anyway, those are my two cents. Good job on the assignment! I give you a 100 (too bad my say-so says nothing actually, eh?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second one. The way the background is blurred really brings the subject to the forefront. I get the sense that he is cold, lost and in a place where he does not want to be. The first photo is great example of how a good journalist can capture emotion in a seemingly mundane photo.

    ReplyDelete