Sunday, October 24, 2010

"Understanding comes with TIME"

If I could choose any publication to pour my life’s attention to it would be TIME magazine. While I thoroughly enjoy the heart behind more stylish, exciting and sexy magazines like Rolling Stone, the journalist in me wants to invest in providing the most relevant, accurate and fair information as possible to the public in order to provide the possibility for democracy. According to TIME’s editorial philosophy it “…separates the crucial from the trivial, converts information into knowledge, and transforms confusion into clarity through exceptional writing, first-hand reporting and stunning photography. Understanding comes with TIME.” Though I do not necessarily agree TIME magazine succeeds at all of this, its news-magazine status at least indicates it strives to do so.

TIME magazine’s target audience, like its content as a news magazine ought to be, is wide. It targets a variety of demographics and psychographics. While many would say TIME has a liberal lean, it theoretically targets anyone who wants to read the news (these people fall into their own demographic and psycho graphic categories).

I think the following articles were accurately and strategically placed to achieve TIME’s mission:


TIME’s story on bullying follows TIME’s mission by addressing the overarching topic of bullying, relevant to kids and parents alike, while covering the hard news story of the recent suicides of three teenage boys.


According to a local organization formed to stop sex trafficking, approximately 500 young girls are sold for sex in Georgia per month. TIME's recent article addresses sex trafficking, also a relevant topic to readers and one I consider to be in my top 5 to include in my magazine.


I would also include a story like this one on new advancements in treating amnesia to fulfil the need for readers to obtain relevant scientific information. Readers would find this relatable in the sense that it's not some far-off ailment that they could never personally develop (like some medical stories).


"Keeping Young Minds Healthy" is also of concern to many readers. I would include this story in my list of top relevant stories to put in my magazine.


And lastly I think TIME's story on Ted Kaufman is timely and politically important.

No comments:

Post a Comment