Monday, October 4, 2010

Picture Picture Picture



Along with the celebratory A.J. Green photo below, this photo resembles the other half of the emotional spectrum of Saturday night's loss to Colorado. There's a lot of talk circulating around campus about the future of Mark Richt's job with the Georgia football program, and ever more talk about the repeated arrests of the players. How does the University feel about the program's troubles on and off the field? Instead of reading the numerous articles by The Red & Black, The Athens Banner Herald, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, etc. just take a long look at the photo above. One man, all by himself, visually expressing "F-You." I really like the fact that the man is slightly to the right, with more space given to the left. Since his expression is facing towards the left, it has good direction to it — your eyes scan the picture and see every expression. 


Feeling slightly sick to your stomach? Fret not, this is simply a press photo that I received to run with my Netherworld review in today's Red & Black paper. I really like this photo because it serves multiple purposes. You'd never opt to look at a photo that involves bare intestines, blood and guts. However, if you're searching around on Google for a haunted house and find this photo, chances are you'll feel slightly more inclined to drop the $27 it requires to tour both houses at Netherworld. This photo represents more than just an opportunity to gross out a few people — it could be the make it or break it representation of Netherworld. 

























This picture, which would have made a magnificent centerpiece photo for today's Red & Black newspaper (had we actually won), was instead tucked away on the inside pages. In my opinion, this photo has it all — for people outside of the University, the notion of a celebration for whoever #8 is extremely apparent. However, for students, this picture stands as a visual representation of our entire football season thus far. We yearned for A.J. Green. And when we put him in? One of the best touchdown passes all year. With the out of focus background, which blurs to a mess of blanks faces and random blots of color, I think the photo stands more crisp than ever. I genuinely love this photo because of all genuine emotion supporting it. 


3 comments:

  1. I think the first picture from the Red & Black today is so great! My photojournalism teacher always talks about capturing moments, and I think this picture is the definition of a great moment. I love how the guy standing up is one of the few people directing his attention to the field, as the rest of the fans look in dismay to what I assume is the replay on the jumbotron. This picture made me laugh this morning when I picked up the Red & Black. As for the second picture, I think it's really disgusting, but I'm easily disgusted by blood and guts and I'm definitely not one for haunted houses. It's definitely a convincing advertisement, though, if you're looking to be disgusted. I liked the third picture too - I agree that the out of focus background really adds to the picture by making the players the main focus, but still keeping the background of the packed stands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first picture when I saw it on the front page of the R&B today. Did a student take this picture? If so, pretty nice work for an amateur photojournalist. Great shot, and the headline was perfectly fitting. Especially for the UGA newspaper, since the student body (as well as all other fans) are getting a little frustrated with the Dawgs' performance the past several weeks. The picture speaks for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love about the first picture is how the photographer shot something seemingly mundane (a crowd shot), but yet found a very telling story in the mundane. That's the job of all journalists.

    ReplyDelete