Monday, October 4, 2010

Photojournalism



This picture showed up today on BBC news (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news) and I thought it was a very interesting shot. I really like the intense action that's shown here. The picture certain helps to tell the story. I also like the composition; I think taking the picture straight on like that gives it an interesting symmetry.





I pulled this photo from Nationalgeographic.com . I love the way that the shallow depth of field pulls you into her eye, but I can't help but think that there is no reason for this image to be in black and white. I think it would have been more powerful in full color.





I actually chose this photo because I really hated it. It was featured on cnn.com today for a story about Verizon. The composition is interesting enough but the picture really doesn't further the story at all or give you any sort of information.

2 comments:

  1. The eye contact of the woman in your second photo reminds me of an element of a good cover image I learned about in my Magazine Management class. One of the most important elements of a good image is that it draw the viewer in. The photographer certainly captured this quality through the woman's eye contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Lane. In the Verizon photo, I think the photographer was trying to capture the guy on his cell phone. But he is covered up by the red "Z." Otherwise, that might have been an interesting photo.

    ReplyDelete