Monday, October 25, 2010

Dream a Little Dream of Me, Mr. Pitt

Oh lord, where do I start? As an aspiring journalist, I feel that I must stay true to my passions while maintaining a strict regimen of objectivity. But how is that possible with what I want to do?

It all started a long time ago. For some reason, I found myself "mildly" entranced by Brad Pitt's personage as a wee lad. I think it was Legends of the Fall what did it to me. Anyway, since then, I've felt a kinship with the Rich and the Famous that is undeniable. For example, I've shaken hands with Juliette Lewis, one of Brad's past flames, and it was terrifically awesome. I realize that some or all this may sound wonderfully creepy, but bear with me, folks.

Putting my good Grady degree to work, I would like to pursue a career in celebrity journalism. No, not like that trash bag Perez Hilton -- he brings more drama than Shakespeare. What I'm talking about is the good old-fashioned people working. I adore an intimate setting with two people being as candid as professionally possible. One of the things missing in celebrity today is true star power, like back in the old days. Teens are fawning over the likes of Justin Bieber and inquiring as to what exactly has been up Ms. Lohan's nose lately. Who cares!

We need more Marilyn Monroes, more James Deans, more Sidney Poitiers. True stars are classy, dammit, even when they're reckless. Brad Pitt does that for me.

To capture this more purist sense of celebrity, I would need to isolate a truly thinking audience. I would aim at fans who are interested in every aspect of production that goes into a movie. Sure, some may say that I would be speaking to the elitist members of film society, but if you can tell me who directed, starred in and wrote the musical score for Punch Drunk Love, then you are closer to appreciating the art that is film.

One publication that I feel hits pretty close to who celebrities are as people --and what makes them stars -- is PARADE magazine. They really do a good job of getting great exclusive features. Sure, there's some gossip involved, but I'd say on the whole that they are pretty respected within the industry.

One story I'd run would be this piece on Francis Ford Coppola. It paints a nice picture of the infamous director's choices made over the years, and is relevant because of the release of Apocalypse Now on blu-ray. Pretty high profile if you ask me. I've always respected Mr. Coppola's work, even though I've heard he's quite the drama queen himself. But, dammit, he knows how to direct a film, and has produced many a classic over the years. Good feature for my dream publication.

Who doesn't like George Clooney? Okay, don't answer that. I would run this particular article because I liked the movie, and it showcases the multitasking abilities of truly talented people in film. GQ magazine is pretty classy, and this gem of a story lets you see inside the mind of one of Hollywood's giants.

Who would have thought that IGN would have ever gotten an interview with the greatness himself, Brad Pitt? Sure, this article ran several years ago, but it'd go straight into my publication because it shows a Pitt that is pre-Jolie, but just barely. Kind of like right before a volcano explodes. Plus, it's just great that a site that I've been visiting for years, IGN, got an interview with Mr. Pitt. Gives me hope that I could get one for my publication as well.

This isn't exactly an article, but I would maim and slaughter for the rights to reprint this little gem in my dream publication. It's Audrey Hepburn talking about gardens, for crying out loud! I genuinely love this woman, and wish she were still alive today. Too, too sad. But I think there could be a place in my publication that would revisit classic interviews with Stars of the past to show these up and coming youngsters how to really do it.

The last article I have chosen exemplifies a different side of the business, one where you take someone from a whole 'nother universe and transplant them into stardom. Who am I talking about? Why, Mos Def, of course. This guy's a real class act. From rhymes and music to acting up a storm, Mos Def performs brilliantly in any area he chooses to shine. Do yourself a favor and read this SPIN article. Makes me like the man even more! He's a real guy, after all.

1 comment: